Friday, November 11, 2011

Lake Eufuala, Oklahoma

Thursday was a beautiful day for a drive.  sunny, not too warm, calm winds and not too much traffic. The park is beautiful, we have a site right on the lake.


quiet evening watching "Outlaw Josie Wales"..  we only get 3 channels and none of them national tv..   Internet is not too bad, I think the phone works..  2 out of 3 not bad...

Friday:  Happy Veterans Day!  today was a different day than we expected.  we thought we would go for a ride see a few sites and eat lunch..

on the state park grounds is a place called Area 51..    a real space ship??



we left the camp at about 9:15 to go into town and find a bakery.  Eric has not had a donut in about 2 weeks and is having withdrawls.  we have been looking for a bakery since we left WI but have not found one yet.   while driving I called an RV park in McAllen Tx to make reservations ( no answer) for one night before we drop off our RV at the Wild Life Refuge and head to New Orleans for Thanksgiving. we drove around for about 2 hours not finding a bakery.  so we decided to go visit the the museum at the state penitentiary.  we could not find the museum so Eric had me call them for info on how to get to the museum.  a lady answered and said that the museum is closed and all the artifacts are in OK city pen.  OK not a big deal, we will go to the next museum on the list.  it took us a while to find as my GPS did not have main street listed!! 

we finally found the museum but it was closed!  across the street is a post office, so I meander there and of course it is closed ( I forgot it was Veterans Day).  I am thinking twilight zone here..  nothing open.... 

I thought I should call the RV park again so I just hit redial..  asked the lady if they had any spots available for Nov 20 for one night.  she asked me to repeat the questions.  so I did.  saying I have a 29 foot RV and we need a spot for one night.  she says" Honey, you have the wrong number, this is the prison!".  she must have thought what a kook.. wants to find out if we have availability at the prison!   we got a good laugh out of that one.  I am sure the lady will tell her friends about that crazy call.

Krebs Ok was settled by Italians. so lots of Italian restaurants and grocery stores.  went to the store first to get Italian sausage and sauce.  on the door they advertise "lamb fries".  so I ask what are lamb fries?  of course they are lamb testicles!!  no thanks... she said they are very good.. I am taking her word.  we headed to a recommended restaurant for lunch.  we had the Italian dinner and sausage.  the dinner was salad, cheese and peppers, hot bread, spaghetti, meatballs, ravioli and Italian sausage.   very very good..  the place was out of the 50's including the dishes!  nothing has changed since they opened.  they also had "lamb fries" on the menu. 

we never did find a bakery..   since we had no luck with museums!  headed back early to settle in for the afternoon.

tomorrow we head out to just north of Fort Worth Tx...

No comments:

Post a Comment